- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Community Community
- Category: Politicians Politicians
- Created: 08 November 2016 08 November 2016
In early 2009 I sent Vice-Presidential Candidate Tim Kaine (then Governor of Virginia) a letter asking him to officially recognize Save The Frogs Day in the Commonwealth of Virginia. You may know the story...he didn't write back. Not being one to settle for rejection, I sent him another letter. Guess what - he didn't write back. That was fine because I also have a phone. I called his office. A few days later Governor Kaine became America's first Governor to recognize Save The Frogs Day. He issued the proclamation below, citing the value of amphibians and stating:
"NOW, THEREFORE, I, Timothy M. Kaine, do hereby recognize April 28, 2009 as SAVE THE FROGS DAY in the COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA, and I call this observance to the attention of all our citizens."
Since then, Save The Frogs Day has been officially recognized by the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Michigan, Massachusetts, Rhode Island as well as the cities of Washington DC, Vancouver BC, Santa Cruz CA, Three Rivers MI, Manassas VA and the County of Prince William, VA.
Thank you to all the frog-friendly politicians out there and thank you to all our supporters who vote pro-environment!
Visit the Save The Frogs Day proclamations page and get ideas on how you can get Save The Frogs Day recognized in YOUR community.
Happy Election Day, whichever way you choose to vote...or even if you choose to not vote. Whatever happens, you can rest assured that SAVE THE FROGS! will continue to protect amphibian populations and promote a society that respects and appreciates nature and wildlife. We will make America's frog populations great again! :-)
Most Recent Articles
- Dr. Kerry Kriger Visits India & Bangladesh
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Art Contest
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Memories from La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
- A Brand New SAVE THE FROGS! Ecuador Ecotour: July 2018
- Commissioned Frog Art by Jay Manchand
- SAVE THE FROGS! Paraguay Expedition to Parque Guasu
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial Report (2016)
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial History
- The SAVE THE FROGS! Three Year Plan
- Legal Frogs: The Book
- SAVE THE FROGS! built a wetland at Garvey Intermediate School in Los Angeles
- Ecotours Referrals Program
- Toad-ally Cool Math and Science Integration
- Gilbert Adum Attending University of Cambridge
- How To Catch & Hold A Frog
- SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Fantastic New Frog Shirts Available For One Week Only
- The Frogman Experience: Save The Frogs Day 2017 In Santa Cruz, California
- SAVE THE FROGS! and UCLA build wetlands for California Tiger Salamanders