- Written by Emily Moskal Emily Moskal
- Parent Category: Staff Staff
- Category: Kathlyn Franco Kathlyn Franco
- Created: 06 April 2016 06 April 2016
Kathlyn D. Franco
Los Angeles, CA
Kathlyn Franco finds a bullfrog enjoying the wetland she helped construct in Arizona for the endangered Gila Topminnow.
Kathlyn Franco is a SAVE THE FROGS! wetland coordinator and ecologist. Ms. Franco is in charge of wetland design and construction, organizing wetland workshops, leading ecotours, as well as other nonprofit-related activities such as legal paperwork, outreach presentations, and shipping your Gift Center orders!
Kathlyn first got involved with SAVE THE FROGS! in 2012. She began volunteering after Dr. Kerry Kriger gave a presentation to her conservation biology class. Ever since she has been working hard with the SAVE THE FROGS! team to help amphibians and wildlife. To date, she has built 24 and designed 12 wetlands with Tom Biebighauser, a renowned wetland construction expert. So far she has saved the endangered California Red-legged Frog and Gila Topminnow, providing new habitat to prevent extinction.
Kathlyn is a first-generation American and college graduate. She received her Bachelor’s in environmental studies from the University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) in 2012. She has participated in several scientific studies working with small mammals, plants, lizards and amphibians. During her undergraduate career, she was awarded two grants to study the Santa Cruz Kangaroo Rat, an endemic keystone species. She has also worked for the U.S. Forest Service studying the effects of forest thinning on small mammal communities, Dr. Greg Gilbert studying the spread of pathogens in plant communities, and Dr. Barry Sinervo studying temperature preference in lizards and climate change modeling.
Certifications and Awards
Wetland Restoration Workshop Training, completed October 2014
California Naturalist, completed June 2012
CA Naturalist Award, 2012 and 2013
Fluent in Spanish
Most Recent Articles
- SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger’s Accomplishments
- How SAVE THE FROGS! uses your donation
- How A Six Year Old Raised Hundreds Of Dollars For The Frogs
- How do you stay positive in the face of the ongoing extinction crisis?
- Why We Must SAVE THE FROGS!
- SAVE THE FROGS! TED-Ed Video
- Save The Frogs Day Event Reporting
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 at the PUC Minas Museum of Natural Sciences
- Visit the SAVE THE FROGS! Gift Center
- Major Website Upgrade And A New Era Of Savethefrogs.com
- Book Recommendations For Frog Lovers
- Sign up for the SAVE THE FROGS! Minas Gerais newsletter
- Free Ecotour Sweepstakes Winner Announced
- Save 500 Dollars On Your Ecuador Ecotour
- Frogging Santuário do Caraça
- Biraj Shrestha Wins Award To Travel From Nepal To The United Kingdom
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 Worldwide Online Video Conference
- Amphibian Research Assistant Positions In Kumasi, Ghana
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 in São Paulo, Brazil
- Nepal: Save The Frogs Day Video Message From Dr. Kerry Kriger