- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Brazil Brazil
- Category: Minas Gerais Minas Gerais
- Created: 28 March 2017 28 March 2017
This is the second in a series of posts from Dr. Kriger's 2017 visit to Brazil. Read about Dr. Kriger's first night in Brazil here.
Minas Gerais, Brazil, is one of the world's amphibian hotspots. The state is home over 200 amphibian species and a variety of ecosystems, including the Atlantic Rainforest and the Cerrado. On March 27th, 2017, SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger visited PUC Minas Museum of Natural Sciences in Belo Horizonte (the capital of Minas Gerais) to spread the amphibian conservation message at one of the top universities in the country. Dr. Kriger gave an hour long presentation in Portuguese - his first ever Portuguese presentation - to over 100 undergraduate and graduate students, discussing why frogs are disappearing worldwide and what can be done to save them. The students were extremely enthusiastic about SAVE THE FROGS! and have already begun planning future SAVE THE FROGS! activities in Minas Gerais.
“Hey Kerry! Thank you again for the wonderful presentation! I really hope to get to participate and volunteer with SAVE THE FROGS!. Hope I get to know a lot more about the organization and can be a big help!! :) “
-- Camille Hoffmaster, Biologist, PUC Minas
SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger with the next generation of Brazilian conservationists at PUC Minas in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
"Foto incrível de uma palestra incrível de uma pessoa incrível! Eu não tinha ideia do quanto tava cheio até ver essa foto! #SAVETHEFROGS"
- Amanda Alcântara
Listen To Dr. Kriger's First Ever Presentation In Portuguese:
View Dr. Kriger's Presentation Slides:
More Belo Horizonte Event Photos
“Quando uma pessoa te inspira pelo jeito, carisma e pelo trabalho, e te mostra várias outras portas para novos caminhos, e te deixa feliz e empolgada e certa de que você está no rumo dos seus sonhos. Obrigada” @eterovickpaula!!! @savethefrogs ♡♡♡
-- Amanda Alcântara
"It was great to meet you Kerry. It was a pleasure to hear you talk about your project, I hope to be a part of it someday!"
“Ótima palestra hoje no V Simpósio de Zoologia da PUC Minas!!! E ao lado de duas pessoas que são uma grande inspiração!!! #savethefrogs "
-- Italo Moreira
In the lab of Dr. Luciana Nascimento, who has described many new amphibian species from Minas Gerais.
Dr. Kriger outside the PUC Minas Museu de Ciências Naturais (Museum of Natural Sciences)
“I want you to know that I admire and am so impressed with your energy, determination, your goals, and your devotion to these wonderful creatures who have not had the spotlight shown on then until you came along! I am very impressed that you were able to learn Portuguese so quickly, and speak to the University students for an hour in their language! I read all of your e-mails.”
Diane K., Wheaton, IL
Help Us Save Amphibians In Brazil
SAVE THE FROGS! protects amphibian populations and empowers ordinary citizens to make extraordinary contributions to the betterment of the planet. If you enjoyed this article about the first of many SAVE THE FROGS! activities in Minas Gerais, we would greatly appreciate your financial support! Please donate to SAVE THE FROGS! and then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask us to direct your donation to our efforts in Brazil. As they say in Brazil, OBRIGADO! (Thank you!)
Most Recent Articles
- Dr. Kerry Kriger Visits India & Bangladesh
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Art Contest
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Memories from La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
- A Brand New SAVE THE FROGS! Ecuador Ecotour: July 2018
- Commissioned Frog Art by Jay Manchand
- SAVE THE FROGS! Paraguay Expedition to Parque Guasu
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial Report (2016)
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial History
- The SAVE THE FROGS! Three Year Plan
- Legal Frogs: The Book
- SAVE THE FROGS! built a wetland at Garvey Intermediate School in Los Angeles
- Ecotours Referrals Program
- Toad-ally Cool Math and Science Integration
- Gilbert Adum Attending University of Cambridge
- How To Catch & Hold A Frog
- SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Fantastic New Frog Shirts Available For One Week Only
- The Frogman Experience: Save The Frogs Day 2017 In Santa Cruz, California
- SAVE THE FROGS! and UCLA build wetlands for California Tiger Salamanders