- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Brazil Brazil
- Category: Minas Gerais Minas Gerais
- Created: 28 March 2017 28 March 2017
This is the second in a series of posts from Dr. Kriger's 2017 visit to Brazil. Read about Dr. Kriger's first night in Brazil here.
Minas Gerais, Brazil, is one of the world's amphibian hotspots. The state is home over 200 amphibian species and a variety of ecosystems, including the Atlantic Rainforest and the Cerrado. On March 27th, 2017, SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger visited PUC Minas Museum of Natural Sciences in Belo Horizonte (the capital of Minas Gerais) to spread the amphibian conservation message at one of the top universities in the country. Dr. Kriger gave an hour long presentation in Portuguese - his first ever Portuguese presentation - to over 100 undergraduate and graduate students, discussing why frogs are disappearing worldwide and what can be done to save them. The students were extremely enthusiastic about SAVE THE FROGS! and have already begun planning future SAVE THE FROGS! activities in Minas Gerais.
“Hey Kerry! Thank you again for the wonderful presentation! I really hope to get to participate and volunteer with SAVE THE FROGS!. Hope I get to know a lot more about the organization and can be a big help!! :) “
-- Camille Hoffmaster, Biologist, PUC Minas
SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger with the next generation of Brazilian conservationists at PUC Minas in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
"Foto incrível de uma palestra incrível de uma pessoa incrível! Eu não tinha ideia do quanto tava cheio até ver essa foto! #SAVETHEFROGS"
- Amanda Alcântara
Listen To Dr. Kriger's First Ever Presentation In Portuguese:
View Dr. Kriger's Presentation Slides:
More Belo Horizonte Event Photos
“Quando uma pessoa te inspira pelo jeito, carisma e pelo trabalho, e te mostra várias outras portas para novos caminhos, e te deixa feliz e empolgada e certa de que você está no rumo dos seus sonhos. Obrigada” @eterovickpaula!!! @savethefrogs ♡♡♡
-- Amanda Alcântara
"It was great to meet you Kerry. It was a pleasure to hear you talk about your project, I hope to be a part of it someday!"
“Ótima palestra hoje no V Simpósio de Zoologia da PUC Minas!!! E ao lado de duas pessoas que são uma grande inspiração!!! #savethefrogs "
-- Italo Moreira
In the lab of Dr. Luciana Nascimento, who has described many new amphibian species from Minas Gerais.
Dr. Kriger outside the PUC Minas Museu de Ciências Naturais (Museum of Natural Sciences)
“I want you to know that I admire and am so impressed with your energy, determination, your goals, and your devotion to these wonderful creatures who have not had the spotlight shown on then until you came along! I am very impressed that you were able to learn Portuguese so quickly, and speak to the University students for an hour in their language! I read all of your e-mails.”
Diane K., Wheaton, IL
Help Us Save Amphibians In Brazil
SAVE THE FROGS! protects amphibian populations and empowers ordinary citizens to make extraordinary contributions to the betterment of the planet. If you enjoyed this article about the first of many SAVE THE FROGS! activities in Minas Gerais, we would greatly appreciate your financial support! Please donate to SAVE THE FROGS! and then email us at email@example.com to ask us to direct your donation to our efforts in Brazil. As they say in Brazil, OBRIGADO! (Thank you!)
Most Recent Articles
- Ecotour Notifications List
- Bangladesh Frogs Booklet - Free PDF
- Save The Frogs at Discover Amazonia in Scotland
- SAVE THE FROGS! Terms of Service
- What To Bring On Your SAVE THE FROGS! Ecotour
- The 5K Race Against Extinction: May 19th, 2018
- 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day Award Recipients
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)