- Written by Organizing Committee of the IV BSCB Organizing Committee of the IV BSCB
- Parent Category: Brazil Brazil
- Category: Minas Gerais Minas Gerais
- Created: 27 September 2017 27 September 2017
We invite you to attend the 4th Brazilian Symposium of Conservation Biology (IV BSCB). The symposium will be headquartered in Belo Horizonte/MG, at the Pampulha Campus of Federal University of Minas Gerais, between December 3rd and 7th, 2017, and it is being organized by Bocaina Biologia da Conservação together with the Graduate School in Ecology Conservation, and Wildlife Management (ECMVS), the Graduate School in Plant Biology (PPGBV) and with the Graduate School in Zoology (PPZOO) of the Federal University of Minas Gerais. Prístino Institute and Biotrópicos Institute are also partners.
The event will be oriented in four thematic axes: day 1 - Public Policies and Biodiversity Conservation; day 2 - Science and Conservation; day 3 - The role of the Third Sector in Conservation; day 4 - Communication of Conservation Sciences. The program includes one (1) major lecture, 15 (fifteen) presential lectures, five (5) online lectures and three (3) roundtables. Each roundtable will consist of three speakers and one mediator. Minicourses are also being offered, with 7 presential and 1 online. The mini courses are focused on the training of students and professionals in strategic conservation issues and coordinated by the great professionals of the area.
The IV Brazilian Symposium on Conservation Biology (IV BSCB) will be a space to foment the discussion of current issues and the national and international advances achieved in the area of Biodiversity Conservation. In addition, it is hoped to strengthen the ties between the Brazilian scientific community and the various professionals involved in this theme, bringing new forms of documentation and dissemination of the knowledge generated during the event. The slogan "New directions for biodiversity conservation" was chosen to provide a fruitful and wide-ranging discussion on the various components of biodiversity conservation from the perspective of existing challenges and solutions to current environmental issues. The event has as one of the main objectives the practical application of knowledge from the socialization of experiences and expertise related to environmental issues in Brazil. From these central themes, recommendations and/or guidelines will be elaborated for the optimization of biodiversity conservation in the country, which may be used to influence the political, scientific, economic and social decision-making regarding the environment.
Encouraging the scientific dissemination of the works that will be presented at the Symposium will also be one of the priorities and a great innovation of this event. All the works sent to the Symposium will be complemented by short videos, explaining the stages of their research, allowing a wider dissemination of the results through online tools. There will also be competitions of scientific photography and mini-documentaries to stimulate the production of materials that reach different sectors of Brazilian society, contributing to the progress and dissemination of science.
In order to include as many people as possible and the creation of an interaction network for conservation, the Online Pre-Symposium was created, a virtual dialogue space that encourages discussions in a democratic and free way throughout the year, for means of weekly video-lectures and other activities. The following topics are being discussed:
- THEME 1: Action plans for the conservation of species and ecosystems.
- THEME 2: Are conservation professionals prepared for conflict management?
- THEME 3: Research and Management of Water Resources.
- THEME 4: The different uses of landscapes.
- THEME 5: Scientific documentation of nature.With this, we would like your support in the disclosure of this event.
The Pre-Symposium Online portal already has more than 1,300 registered people, coming from 342 municipalities in all Brazilian states and 23 countries from 5 continents, which demonstrates the great potential of this innovation for transcend geographic barriers, enabling us to know the Brazilian environmental reality and socialize existing knowledge in a broad and accessible way.
With the IV SBBC, we aim to carry out an integrative event with the use of online tools to promote the socialization of information and the empowerment of society for environmental issues. The result of this integration will be the elaboration of directives applicable to diverse national contexts, optimizing conservation actions in Brazil.
Thank you in advance, and we remain at your disposal for any clarification.
Organizing Committee of the IV BSCB.
Most Recent Articles
- Bangladesh Frogs Booklet - Free PDF
- Save The Frogs at Discover Amazonia in Scotland
- SAVE THE FROGS! Terms of Service
- What To Bring On Your SAVE THE FROGS! Ecotour
- The 5K Race Against Extinction: May 19th, 2018
- 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day Award Recipients
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Ecuador Ecotour: Name Your Price
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)