- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Costa Rica Costa Rica
- Category: Amphibians of Costa Rica Amphibians of Costa Rica
- Created: 02 August 2017 02 August 2017
In July 2017, I joined biologist Víctor Acosta Chaves, M.Sc. and his team for a survey of the amphibians and reptiles of the Texas A&M University's Soltis Center for Research and Education (Soltis Center). The Center protects low to mid elevation rainforest (~500m above sea level) and connects with one of the largest pieces of protected land in Central America (Bosque Eterno de los Niños, the largest private reserve in Costa Rica). Situated on the Caribbean side of the continental divide east of Monteverde, the reserve receives a lot of rainfall and thus is perfect habitat for many amphibians. Over three days and nights we found at least 22 amphibian species! So as to assist future visitors to the TAMU Soltis Center in identifying the amphibians they encounter, I created this webpage. Enjoy the photos, and if you are fortunate enough to visit the Soltis Center, happy frogging!
The Texas A&M University's Soltis Center for Research and Education
Amphibians we found in July 2017
The Soltis Center also protects some beautiful waterfalls:
Thanks again to biologist Víctor Acosta Chaves, M.Sc. and his team:
SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger:
Thanks again to the staff and management of the Soltis Center!
If you want to find frogs in Costa Rica, consider joining a SAVE THE FROGS! Costa Rica Ecotour. We look forward to introducing you to Costa Rica's amazing amphibians!
Most Recent Articles
- Bangladesh Frogs Booklet - Free PDF
- Save The Frogs at Discover Amazonia in Scotland
- SAVE THE FROGS! Terms of Service
- What To Bring On Your SAVE THE FROGS! Ecotour
- The 5K Race Against Extinction: May 19th, 2018
- 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day Award Recipients
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Ecuador Ecotour: Name Your Price
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)