- Written by Sandra Owusu-Gyamfi Sandra Owusu-Gyamfi
- Parent Category: Ghana Ghana
- Category: Atewa Hills Atewa Hills
- Created: 22 June 2016 22 June 2016
SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana Executive Director Gilbert Adum was recently awarded £10,000 ($14,700) from UK-based Rufford Foundation to boost his team's efforts to save frogs threatened by mining in western Ghana’s Sui forest.
Artisanal illegal miners left pits uncovered when they were forced out of the Sui forest. Gilbert and his team identified these pits as death-traps to several frogs including the Giant Squeaker Frog, one of the world’s rarest animals. With the grant funding, Gilbert and his team will close up the pits and replant areas with native trees. “Elsewhere, uncovered mine pits have caused the lives of many people," says Sandra Owusu-Gyamfi, Ghana’s first female amphibian biologist and Associate Executive Director of SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana. "Therefore, covering up the pits and revegetating the areas will not only help to save frogs and other wildlife but also human lives.”
Gilbert warns the Ghanaian public to be wary of the dangers these mine pits can pose. He has also called on government, corporate societies, funding agencies and other conservation groups to join hands in doing more to save frogs and wildlife threatened by illegal mining activities in Ghanaian forests.
Most Recent Articles
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Ecuador Ecotour: Name Your Price
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)
- Join The SAVE THE FROGS! Facebook Group
- University of Dhaka SAVE THE FROGS! Seminar
- The Save The Frogs World Summit ONLINE: April 27th & 28th, 2018
- How To Donate A Book To SAVE THE FROGS!
- How To Organize A Successful Save The Frogs Day Event
- Register Your Save The Frogs Day Event Here
- Why People Donate to SAVE THE FROGS!