- Written by Gilbert Adum Gilbert Adum
- Parent Category: Ghana Ghana
- Category: Sui River Sui River
- Created: 27 September 2017 27 September 2017
SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana has secured a £10,000 grant (~US$12,000) from the UK-based Rufford Foundation to save endangered frogs from wildfires in Sui Forest, home of the iconic Giant Squeaker Frog (Arthroleptis krokosua). In collaboration with the Ghana National Fire Service, the team will rehabilitate critical frog habitat that has been degraded by fire, and train farmers, hunters, beekeepers and other local forest user groups in fire prevention and suppression measures.
In addition to invasive weeds, farming, logging and mining activities, recurrent wildfires are a major threat to Ghanaian endangered frogs. One of the worst catastrophes was in 2016 when large swathes of the forest were burnt -- including 5,000 native tree seedlings we previously planted to restore critical frog habitat.
Due to the prevalence of the highly flammable non-native plant Chromolaena odorata, large tracks of native vegetation were also destroyed. The fire also directly killed many frogs. Thus, the urgent need for this project to prevent wildfire induced habitat destruction, empower local citizens in protecting their natural resources and save the last remaining individuals of endangered frogs including Giant Squeaker Frog. Less than 30 individual Giant Squeaker frogs are known to be surviving on planet earth. Thank you to the Rufford Foundation and everyone else who has donated to our frog saving efforts!
Most Recent Articles
- Bangladesh Frogs Booklet - Free PDF
- Save The Frogs at Discover Amazonia in Scotland
- SAVE THE FROGS! Terms of Service
- What To Bring On Your SAVE THE FROGS! Ecotour
- The 5K Race Against Extinction: May 19th, 2018
- 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day Award Recipients
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Ecuador Ecotour: Name Your Price
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)