- Written by STF! Webmaster STF! Webmaster
- Parent Category: Countries Countries
- Category: New Zealand New Zealand
- Created: 06 February 2017 06 February 2017
Presentation by Professor Phil Bishop: The Conservation of New Zealand frogs - the ancient weirdos of the amphibian World!
On February 13th, 2017, we held the inaugural SAVE THE FROGS! Australia New Zealand Video Conference, attended by participants from four countries. Professor Phil Bishop gave a presentation on the conservation of New Zealand's frogs - the ancient weirdos of the amphibian world. This free online event consisted of an hour long presentation followed by ample time for discussion about all things related to the conservation of amphibians in the South Pacific.
"Definitely a great conference, I have been fascinated by NZ frogs and I look forward to the next date."
Stefano Rambaldi, Italy
Professor Bishop has spent the last 20 years working with the ancient native frogs of New Zealand. Originally intending to discover how these unusually silent frogs communicate, his focus shifted towards amphibian conservation management as the phenomenon of global amphibian declines gained momentum. The leiopelmatid frogs of New Zealand are voiceless and earless, with a number of unusual and unique morphological characters. Out of the breeding season they have a daily behavioural repertoire very similar to a small stone! Phil is a Professor of Zoology at the University of Otago (New Zealand) and in his spare time is the Co-Chair of the IUCN SSC Amphibian Specialist Group and the Chief Scientist of the Amphibian Survival Alliance.
See you online!
Professor Phil Bishop
Native frog (Leiopelma spp.) recovery plan, 2013–2018
Phillip J. Bishop, Lisa A. Daglish, Amanda J.M. Haigh, Leigh J. Marshall, Mandy D. Tocher and Kate L. McKenzie
Most Recent Articles
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Ecuador Ecotour: Name Your Price
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)
- Join The SAVE THE FROGS! Facebook Group
- University of Dhaka SAVE THE FROGS! Seminar
- The Save The Frogs World Summit ONLINE: April 27th & 28th, 2018
- How To Donate A Book To SAVE THE FROGS!
- How To Organize A Successful Save The Frogs Day Event
- Register Your Save The Frogs Day Event Here
- Why People Donate to SAVE THE FROGS!