- Written by STF! Webmaster STF! Webmaster
- Parent Category: Countries Countries
- Category: New Zealand New Zealand
- Created: 06 February 2017 06 February 2017
Presentation by Professor Phil Bishop: The Conservation of New Zealand frogs - the ancient weirdos of the amphibian World!
On February 13th, 2017, we held the inaugural SAVE THE FROGS! Australia New Zealand Video Conference, attended by participants from four countries. Professor Phil Bishop gave a presentation on the conservation of New Zealand's frogs - the ancient weirdos of the amphibian world. This free online event consisted of an hour long presentation followed by ample time for discussion about all things related to the conservation of amphibians in the South Pacific.
"Definitely a great conference, I have been fascinated by NZ frogs and I look forward to the next date."
Stefano Rambaldi, Italy
Professor Bishop has spent the last 20 years working with the ancient native frogs of New Zealand. Originally intending to discover how these unusually silent frogs communicate, his focus shifted towards amphibian conservation management as the phenomenon of global amphibian declines gained momentum. The leiopelmatid frogs of New Zealand are voiceless and earless, with a number of unusual and unique morphological characters. Out of the breeding season they have a daily behavioural repertoire very similar to a small stone! Phil is a Professor of Zoology at the University of Otago (New Zealand) and in his spare time is the Co-Chair of the IUCN SSC Amphibian Specialist Group and the Chief Scientist of the Amphibian Survival Alliance.
See you online!
Professor Phil Bishop
Native frog (Leiopelma spp.) recovery plan, 2013–2018
Phillip J. Bishop, Lisa A. Daglish, Amanda J.M. Haigh, Leigh J. Marshall, Mandy D. Tocher and Kate L. McKenzie
Most Recent Articles
- University of Dhaka SAVE THE FROGS! Seminar
- The Save The Frogs World Summit: April 27th & 28th, 2018
- How To Donate A Book To SAVE THE FROGS!
- How To Organize A Successful Save The Frogs Day Event
- Register Your Save The Frogs Day Event Here
- Why People Donate to SAVE THE FROGS!
- Dr. Kerry Kriger Visits India & Bangladesh
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Art Contest
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Memories from La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
- The SAVE THE FROGS! Ecuador Ecotour: July 2018
- Commissioned Frog Art by Jay Manchand
- SAVE THE FROGS! Paraguay Expedition to Parque Guasu
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial Report (2016)
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial History
- The SAVE THE FROGS! Three Year Plan
- Legal Frogs: The Book
- SAVE THE FROGS! built a wetland at Garvey Intermediate School in Los Angeles
- Ecotours Referrals Program
- Toad-ally Cool Math and Science Integration