- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Amphibians of the USA Amphibians of the USA
- Category: Rana catesbeiana - American Bullfrog Rana catesbeiana - American Bullfrog
- Created: 18 April 2017 18 April 2017
SAVE THE FROGS! has been working with governmental and nonprofit partners since 2010 to reduce the number of invasive species entering the USA. One of the species we have worked hardest on is the American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana or Lithobates catesbeianus). While we love bullfrogs in their native habitat, their invasion of the American West has caused an array of negative impacts on native (and frequently threatened and endangered) amphibians.
California politicians have been permitting the importations of over two million bullfrogs annually, which causes unnecessary harm to California's native amphibians, as the bullfrogs prey on native frogs, compete with them for food and breeding habitats, and spread infectious diseases. SAVE THE FROGS! helped create new bullfrog policies in the City and County of Santa Cruz, California in 2012, and we have been urging the State of California to ban importation and sales of bullfrogs for the past seven years.
Thankfully, our frog-loving friends and attorneys at the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) have recently stepped up and taken on this issue as well. CBD and STF! co-authored and submitted a petition in 2016 calling on the California Fish and Game Commission (FGC) to list American Bullfrogs as a prohibited species in the state. Our petition is being considered at the FGC's April 26, 2017 meeting in Van Nuys, CA (which takes place at the Airtel Plaza Hotel, 7277 Valjean Avenue).
This is our best chance yet to make a serious difference for native amphibians in California so we are calling on all frog enthusiasts to attend the April 26th, 2017 meeting in Van Nuys.
By attending, you will be able to let the FGC politicians know that you want American Bullfrog importation and sales to be ended in California now! All attendees will have the chance to speak to the Commission (expect to have 2 minutes total). SAVE THE FROGS! Wetland Coordinator Kathlyn Franco will be at the meeting to speak on behalf of SAVE THE FROGS!.
Attend the April 26th, 2017 Fish & Game Commission meeting in Van Nuys, CA:
RSVP by emailing Kathlyn Franco (email@example.com). She will tell you where to meet, what time you should arrive, and answer any of your questions, including helping you craft your speech to the Commissioners on behalf of the amphibians.
Bullfrog photo courtesy Jock Branson.
Most Recent Articles
- Dr. Kerry Kriger Visits India & Bangladesh
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Art Contest
- Winners of the 2017 SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Memories from La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
- A Brand New SAVE THE FROGS! Ecuador Ecotour: July 2018
- Commissioned Frog Art by Jay Manchand
- SAVE THE FROGS! Paraguay Expedition to Parque Guasu
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial Report (2016)
- SAVE THE FROGS! Financial History
- The SAVE THE FROGS! Three Year Plan
- Legal Frogs: The Book
- SAVE THE FROGS! built a wetland at Garvey Intermediate School in Los Angeles
- Ecotours Referrals Program
- Toad-ally Cool Math and Science Integration
- Gilbert Adum Attending University of Cambridge
- How To Catch & Hold A Frog
- SAVE THE FROGS! Photo Contest
- Fantastic New Frog Shirts Available For One Week Only
- The Frogman Experience: Save The Frogs Day 2017 In Santa Cruz, California
- SAVE THE FROGS! and UCLA build wetlands for California Tiger Salamanders