Sharp Park Wetlands
- Written by STF! Webmaster STF! Webmaster
- Parent Category: California California
- Category: Sharp Park Wetlands Sharp Park Wetlands
- Created: 16 February 2017 16 February 2017
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors recently took actions to approve a long term management plan that includes spending taxpayer dollars to drain the Sharp Park Wetlands. The City of San Francisco has a documented history of harming, killing and harassing federally protected California Red-Legged Frogs (Rana draytonii) when they drain this rare wetland ecosystem. Their reason to drain the wetlands: to create dry land for a money-losing golf course.
SAVE THE FROGS! partners have appealed the Board's actions and an appeal hearing will take place February 28th, 2017. Click here to see the letter submitted to the SF Board of Supervisors by SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger on February 15th, 2017. Right now we need your help to ensure the City knows there is widespread opposition to their frog-killing plans.
Please email the SF Board of Supervisors today and tell them you oppose the proposed Significant Natural Resource Areas Management Plan until and unless the Sharp Park Golf Course redevelopment is removed from the plan! You can use the sample email below.
Sample Email (Please sign your name at the bottom of it):
MAIL TO (copy all these email addresses into the CC: field of your composed email):
Board.of.Supervisors@sfgov.org, Sandra.Fewer@sfgov.org, Mark.Farrell@sfgov.org, Aaron.Peskin@sfgov.org, Katy.Tang@sfgov.org, London.Breed@sfgov.org, Conor.Johnston@sfgov.org, Jane.Kim@sfgov.org, Norman.Yee@sfgov.org, Jeff.Sheehy@sfgov.org, Hillary.Ronen@sfgov.org, Malia.Cohen@sfgov.org, Ahsha.Safai@sfgov.org, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please protect wetlands and reject any SNRAMP that includes golf course redevelopment
Dear San Francisco Board of Supervisors:
I am writing to urge you to reject the Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) for the proposed Significant Natural Resource Areas Management Plan (SNRAMP), unless and until the Sharp Park Golf Course redevelopment is removed from the plan. The vast majority of California’s wetlands have been drained, degraded and destroyed. Sharp Park is home to federally protected, endangered California Red-Legged Frogs (Rana draytonii), California’s official state amphibian. The Board of Supervisors should work to protect, rather than to kill, harm and harass these frogs, which is what happens when the City pumps the Sharp Park Wetlands out to sea, causing the frogs’ egg masses to be stranded on dry land. I wholeheartedly oppose any usage of taxpayer funds that results in the destruction of rare wetland ecosystems or the degradation of important wildlife habitat. Using taxpayer dollars to drain wetlands for non-essential purposes is thoroughly unethical. As such, I again request that you not approve any version of a Significant Natural Resource Areas Management Plan that condones or funds such activities. Please see www.savethefrogs.com/sharp-park for more info, and remember that there are over 1,000 other golf courses in California.
Speak up at San Francisco City Hall February 28th, 2017
Our Appeal hearing before the SF Board of Supervisors is on Tuesday, February 28th at 3:00pm in San Francisco City Hall, Room 250. We need you there at 3:00pm so that you can speak in support of our appeal and protecting Sharp Park wildlife! Please email Julia Chang Frank at Julia4th@yahoo.com if you can be there, and she will provide you with talking points. Thank you for taking action for amphibians!
California Red-Legged Frog eggs stranded on land
Learn More & Donate
Visit www.savethefrogs.com/sharp-park to learn more. Donate at www.savethefrogs.com/donate to ensure SAVE THE FROGS! has the necessary funds to protect, create and restore amphibian habitat in California, across the USA and around the world. Thank you!
Most Recent Articles
- SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger’s Accomplishments
- How SAVE THE FROGS! uses your donation
- How A Six Year Old Raised Hundreds Of Dollars For The Frogs
- How do you stay positive in the face of the ongoing extinction crisis?
- Why We Must SAVE THE FROGS!
- SAVE THE FROGS! TED-Ed Video
- Save The Frogs Day Event Reporting
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 at the PUC Minas Museum of Natural Sciences
- Visit the SAVE THE FROGS! Gift Center
- Major Website Upgrade And A New Era Of Savethefrogs.com
- Book Recommendations For Frog Lovers
- Sign up for the SAVE THE FROGS! Minas Gerais newsletter
- Free Ecotour Sweepstakes Winner Announced
- Save 500 Dollars On Your Ecuador Ecotour
- Frogging Santuário do Caraça
- Biraj Shrestha Wins Award To Travel From Nepal To The United Kingdom
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 Worldwide Online Video Conference
- Amphibian Research Assistant Positions In Kumasi, Ghana
- Save The Frogs Day 2017 in São Paulo, Brazil
- Nepal: Save The Frogs Day Video Message From Dr. Kerry Kriger