- Written by Dr. Kerry Kriger Dr. Kerry Kriger
- Parent Category: Donate Donate
- Category: Bequests Bequests
- Created: 17 December 2016 17 December 2016
In late 2012, The Estate of Marie Kirchberger sent SAVE THE FROGS! a check for $75,000, the largest donation we have ever received. The donation was a bequest from the late Marie Kirchberger, who included SAVE THE FROGS! in her will based on her love of frogs and her appreciation of our efforts on behalf of amphibians.
Marie's generous gift came at a time of significant financial hardship for SAVE THE FROGS!, and funded our entire worldwide operations for over six months. For this, everybody in the SAVE THE FROGS! community has much to be appreciative of, for without Marie's bequest, it is unknown if SAVE THE FROGS! would even exist today.
Marie and I had never communicated, and during her life she had placed only a single donation to SAVE THE FROGS! (in 2010, for $25).
It is my sincere hope that Marie's $75,000 bequest inspires you to include SAVE THE FROGS! in your own estate plans. To assist you in this regard, SAVE THE FROGS! has created this webpage that details the multitude of ways you can leave a legacy for the frogs and ensure the survival of frog populations far into the future.
Photo of American Bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus; Rana catesbeiana) courtesy of Wes Deyton.
Here is the 2012 letter we received announcing Marie Kirchberger's generous bequest to SAVE THE FROGS:
"Dear Dr. Kriger,
My name is Joanne Robinson, and I am contacting you on behalf of The Estate of Marie Kirchberger, formerly of Somerville, Massachusetts. Marie Kirchberger was one of the most generous friends I had. She held strong opinions and supported many wonderful causes. In light of her belief that your cause is numbered among them, Marie made a bequest to your organization in her Will.
Marie felt very strongly that SAVE THE FROGS! made a significant contribution to our environment. Marie had a strong connection to frogs, and as a result her friends helped contribute over the years to an impressive collection of frog figurines and artwork. She thought highly of the work your organization does.
Please note that this bequest is a contribution to your general funds, and that there are no specific conditions or stipulations regarding its use. However, Marie’s specific interests were in the areas of preserving frog habitats and educating people on their value in the ecosystem. I believe it would honor Marie’s memory if you did choose to apply any of these funds towards those areas specifically.
Her bequest was in the amount of seventy-five thousand dollars. I have enclosed both a cheque in that amount made out to your organization, and a copy of the Will.
We will all miss Marie. On her behalf, I would like to thank you for your organization’s work in improving our world, and to express my hope that her legacy will be to help you continue that work.
Joanne Robinson, Executrix
The Estate of Marie Kirchberger"
Spadefoot (Pelobates fuscus) photo from Czech Republic courtesy of Jenda Dvorak
"Great news. I am wishing for many more such donors in the coming year(s). You are doing such an admirable job on behalf of our amphibian friends."
Ron L., Berkeley, CA
Most Recent Articles
- Ecotour Notifications List
- Bangladesh Frogs Booklet - Free PDF
- Save The Frogs at Discover Amazonia in Scotland
- SAVE THE FROGS! Terms of Service
- What To Bring On Your SAVE THE FROGS! Ecotour
- The 5K Race Against Extinction: May 19th, 2018
- 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day Award Recipients
- The 10th Annual Save The Frogs Day: April 28th, 2018
- SAVE THE FROGS! Members Aspire To Be...
- Add Your Name To The SAVE THE FROGS! Memberships Waitlist
- Sign Up For The SAVE THE FROGS! Electronic Newsletter
- Do You Work with Amphibians in North America?
- Biraj Shrestha wins fellowship to attend University of California at Santa Cruz
- Save The Frogs Day Award Applications Due March 30th
- SAVE THE FROGS! Letter In Support Of Tesla Park Senate Bill 1316
- Save The Frogs Day 2018 Shirts Available Through March 29th
- Monteverde Watches joins the SAVE THE FROGS! cause
- Kolkata, India: Dr. Kerry Kriger visits the Rahara Nibedita Art Centre
- Job Opening: Ecotour Leader (Ecuador June 2018)