Founded in September 2011, SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana is West Africa's first nonprofit organization dedicated exclusively to amphibian conservation. The mission of SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana is to protect Ghana's amphibian populations and to promote a society that respects and appreciates nature and wildlife.
About SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana
Africa is fraught with both social and environmental problems, and Ghana is an excellent location from which to initiate SAVE THE FROGS! programs that we plan to spread far and wide across the African continent. Over 80% of Ghana's original rainforests have been cleared and a third of the country's amphibians are under threat.
With your support, SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana can exponentially grow the number of Ghanaian amphibian biologists; create a new national park in the biodiverse Atewa Hills, which is currently under threat from diamond, gold and bauxite mining; institute programs to replace the frog meat trade and illegal logging with sustainable, environmentally-friendly sources of income; and produce up-to-date field guides and other educational materials that will go to every high school in the country. Plus a whole lot more!
"The difference between success and failure in saving Ghana's frogs will come down to how much support the outside world provides."
-- SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger
Saving The Giant Squeaker Frogs
SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana has been working tirelessly since 2011 to protect the critically endangered Giant Squeaker Frog (Arthroleptis krokosua). Our efforts have resulted in a doubling of the species' population size. Specific actions we have taken include:
- Reforesting the frogs' habitat by involving local schoolchildren in the planting of over 15,000 native trees.
- Educating the citizens of Yawkrom and surrounding communities about the value of the frogs and the rainforest.
- The creation of the Sui Amphibian Conservation Education Centre (SACEC) in the village of Yawkrom
- Training numerous undergraduate students in scientific monitoring techniques in the Sui forest.
- Training villagers in beekeeping techniques and providing beekeeping equipment so that they no longer have to chop trees in the forest and start fires in order to collect wild honey.
- Legal enforcement of forest regulations through the reporting of illegal farms in the Sui forest.
- Providing scholarships to the brightest students of Yawkrom so they can attend high school and avoid the need to subsist off of the forest.
Learn all about the Giant Squeaker Frogs and our efforts to protect them at:
Please Donate to SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana
As a small nonprofit based in Kumasi, West Africa, we rely on the generosity of frog lovers like you. SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana turns your financial contribution into frogs saved, rainforest protected and people educated about the importance of amphibians and ways to protect them. All donations are securely processed by SAVE THE FROGS! USA and are tax-deductible for USA residents.
We thank you in advance for your support!
Read About All Our Latest Efforts
Stay up to date with all our latest efforts right here by viewing this archive of all articles on the website with the #ghana tag:
Contact SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana
You can contact SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana via:
SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana
Box KS 15924,