JONES-LOVICH GRANT IN SOUTHWESTERN HERPETOLOGY
Thanks to the generosity of Larry Jones and Rob Lovich, 100% of the proceeds from the sale of their book, Lizards of the American Southwest (2009, Rio Nuevo Press), goes to support herpetological field research in the American Southwest. HL student members have the chance to compete for a single $1000 grant each year.
1. An award ($1000.00) will be presented to one winner who is studying the amphibians or reptiles of the North American Southwest, including the southwestern United States or northwestern Mexico. This research can focus on any aspect of amphibian or reptile
biology, including behavior, conservation, ecology, physiology, or morphology and systematics.
2. See the HL web site for application form, complete rules and details, along with the cover page at:
3. Entries must be received by 5:00 pm Pacific Time on 9 January 2012.
4. Send complete application (cover page, proposal, budget, CV) as a single PDF electronically to: Carol Spencer at
Please put ‘‘Jones-Lovich Research Grant’’ in the subject line.
5. One letter of support should be sent, preferably by email,
directly from the supporter to Carol Spencer at
6. Proposals will be reviewed by at least three professional scientists from the Jones-Lovich Grant Committee, and written feedback will be provided to the students by April 2012.
7. Funding will be dispersed in April 2012 and winners announced at 2012 World Congress of Herpetology in Vancouver, B.C.
1. The applicant must be a member in good standing of The Herpetologists’ League.
2. Both M.S. and Ph.D. graduate students are eligible. The applicant must be registered and in good standing in a degree-granting program.
3. One proposal is allowed per applicant per year.
4. The project must be original work that is authored and conducted by the applicant.
5. Projects that are already fully supported by other sources are not eligible.
6. The research must involve amphibians or reptiles that occur in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico. The animals’ distribution must include at least one of the following states: Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico,
Utah, Chihuahua, Sonora, Sinaloa, Baja California, Baja California Sur, Coahuila, Zacatecas, Durango, Nuevo Leon, or San Luis Potosi.
(also check the HL website for updates to these details)
1. Word limit: 1200 words, not including citations, budget, cover page or CV.
2. Double spaced, 12 pt font.
3. Margins: 1 inch.
4. Include the cover page provided at the HL website.
5. Include a detailed budget, as well as sources and amounts of current and pending support.
6. Include a two-page CV that includes telephone number, and e-mail and mailing addresses.
7. Arrange in advance for one letter of support to be sent separately by the supporter.
This announcement brought to you courtesy of:
The Center for North American Herpetology
3 October 2011
The SAVE THE FROGS! Webmaster is your friendly frog-loving robot who keeps this website running 24/7/365 to ensure that frog enthusiasts around the world are educated, inspired and empowered to save frogs and other amphibians from extinction!