Frog dissections are unethical and unnecessary. Furthermore, they are contributing to the depletion of wild frog populations and the spread of harmful invasive species and infectious diseases. As excellent alternatives exist, SAVE THE FROGS! highly recommends that schools switch to virtual dissection software such as the Digital Frog 2.5. We invite all students and teachers to assist worldwide amphibian conservation efforts by participating in our Race To Stop Dissections Contest.
The Top 10 Reasons Schools Should Not Dissect Frogs
(1) Frogs are the most rapidly disappearing group of animals on the planet.
(2) Most frogs being dissected are taken out of the wild.
(3) Farm-raised frogs have high rates of infectious diseases.
(4) Excellent virtual dissection alternatives exist.
(5) Few students have any need to know what the inside of a frog looks like.
(6) If a student plans to be a doctor they can dissect cadavers in med school.
(7) Unnecessarily killing an animal is unethical and teaches students that animals are disposable.
(9) Students should not be forced to be unwitting accomplices in the extinction of frog species.
(10) Abandoning your school’s dissection program sends a strong signal that you support worldwide amphibian conservation efforts.
Our goal is to have frog dissections out of every public school in the USA by 2014. That is not a lot of time, considering the huge number of schools that currently dissect. With your help though, we can achieve our goal! In 2011, we want 200 USA public schools to abandon their dissection programs: help us make it happen!
The Race To Stop Dissections Contest
Calling All Teachers! Calling All Students! The Race To Stop Dissections Contest has begun and the frogs need you to take part! We want you working to get your school to abandon its frog dissection program. Not only will you learn all about frogs and campaign organizing, you will will experience the satisfaction of being the ones who saved the hundreds to thousands of frogs destined to die because of your school’s participation in the frog dissection trade. Plus you could win $$$ CASH PRIZES $$$ — so go sign up for the Race To Stop Dissections Contest!
The SAVE THE FROGS! Webmaster is your friendly frog-loving robot who keeps this website running 24/7/365 to ensure that frog enthusiasts around the world are educated, inspired and empowered to save frogs and other amphibians from extinction!